Shaping the Future of
New York Wireless
The mission of our Workforce Development Committee is to assist with the growth of a properly trained broadband workforce in New York State through outreach, education and partnerships with several educational institutions, including, but not limited to: SUNY, CUNY, BOCES and more.
Explore the tabs below to view our recent accomplishments in Workforce Development.
QUEENSBORO COMMUNITY COLLEGE 5G CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
NYSWA has partnered with Queensborough Community College (QCC) to provide internship opportunities to students through the NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD) Train & Earn program.
What: 5G Mobile Technician Program
When: July 9, 2022
Where: Queensborough Community College Queens, NY
- On-the-job training
- Classroom learning
Train & Earn (formerly the Out-of-School Youth Program) is a career pathways program for New York City residents that provides comprehensive job training and employment services, along with support services needed by participants to find a permanent job, obtain their high school equivalency if applicable, and access postsecondary education and training.
The QCC office of Continuing Education & Workforce Development offers a 5G Mobile Technician Program to fuel and support the growing profession of wireless infrastructure technicians. This program is designed to provide students with a broad knowledge of telecommunications maintenance and modifications necessary for entry‐level employment as a wireless telecommunications technician.
For more information on the Queensborough Train & Earn Program, explore the links below:
5G Mobile Technician Training Program (external link)
SUNY IMPACT FOUNDATION | NYSWA SCHOLARSHIP FUND
The New York State Wireless Association (NYSWA) is pleased to announce a partnership with the SUNY Impact Foundation establishing the NYSWA / SUNY college scholarship for qualifying students interested in pursuing studies and careers in the wireless telecommunications industry.
Recognizing the critical importance at this moment in time of the intersection of mobile connectivity, workforce development, and higher education, the scholarship program is open to SUNY students at both its four-year and community college campuses.
The intent of this program is to foster interest among SUNY students for possible careers in the dynamic and growing NY-based wireless telecommunications industry. The NYSWA/SUNY scholarship is open to students with a variety of academic backgrounds in order to develop and recruit young talent to work in all aspects of the wireless telecommunications industry.
The eligibility requirements of the scholarship are:
- Candidates must be a degree candidate in either an associate and bachelor degree program at a state operated or community college campus. All majors may apply
- Preference will be given to students who have completed at least two semesters if enrolled in an associates degree program and completed at least four semesters if enrolled in a bachelors degree program
- Preference will be given to students who have completed an internship with a NYS Wireless Association member or who are a current employee
- Students enrolled exclusively in online learning are eligible to apply
- Eligible students must complete an online application
- Candidates will be required to provide a copy of their SUNY transcript
- A recommendation from a professor or campus employer will be required
Students enrolled in associates level degree programs are eligible for $1,000 scholarships. Students enrolled in a bachelor’s level degree program are eligible for a $2,000 scholarship.
For more information contact:
SUNY Impact Foundation: https://sunyimpactfoundation.org/contact/